Have you ever had one of those moments when you feel like you should be thoughtful and philosophical and all you come up with are ridiculous inane comments? Things like:
- If it’s artificial anyway, why do they make Cheetos that horrible color of orange that sticks to your fingers like crazy? They could make it non-staining — so do they just want to torture me?
- If natural selection really works, why is every good tasting food addictive and bad for you? Is the cosmic plan to kill off humanity or just the people who like to eat?
- Why do Nintendo DS styluses come in 5 packs? Is it so that I can pick them up and move them around between the floor and my junk drawer?
- Why do we have junk drawers? If it’s junk, why don’t we just throw the stuff away?
- And if we’re on the point about junk, why did we buy that stuff anyway? At some point did we think it wasn’t junk?
I could go on, but you get the point.
I’ve felt a little on the edge of witty all day, wandering around the swirling vortex of interesting and compelling ideas. But instead, when I sit down to write it’s not there. Which may be ok because there are times when even I realize that I take myself too seriously.
And that really is too bad, because I love humor. I really, really love humor. And yet, I am not very funny. At least, I’m not very funny to people who are not me. I’m drop dead hilarious to myself. Just ask me. Hilarious.
But, what I really want to be is The Onion funny. Those guys make me laugh every single time I read a headline. Even when they are making fun of me or some topic or issue that I am passionate about I still groan and the voice inside my head says, “You got me there, Onion, I am taking myself too gosh darn seriously.”
So tonight, I am not taking myself seriously. I am recognizing that sometimes you just need to write and if it isn’t a masterpiece, that’s ok. And if it isn’t as funny as The Onion, that’s ok. And if it doesn’t get shared or retweeted or liked or go viral, well…
…that might hurt my feelings. But I’m a big girl, I’ll get over it.